I am delighted to say that my third book, Creative Placemaking: Research, Theory and Practice will be out for the start of September.
Co-edited with Dr Anita McKeown the curated book both deconstructs and reconstructs the field of creative placemaking from a global research and practice perspective, including a reflective piece from the people that coined the term, the legendary Anne Markusen and Anne Gadwa Nicodemus.
More information here, including a link to pre-order, and TOC below.
Table of Contents
Introduction Curating Research, Theory and Practice (Cara Courage and Anita McKeown)
Section One – Evolving Ecologies
- 1 Creative Placemaking: Reflections on a 21st Century American Arts Policy Initiative, (Ann Markusen and Anne Gadwa Nicodemus)
- 2 Spaces of Vernacular Creativity Reconsidered, (Tim Edensor and Steve Millington)
Section Two – Dialogical Ecologies
- 3 Turning local interests into local action: Community-Based Art and the case of Wrecked! On The Intertidal Zone, (Dominic Walker)
- 4 Arrivals and Departures: Navigating an Emotional Landscape of Belonging and Displacement at Barangaroo in Sydney, Australia (Sarah Barns)
- 5 A Case for Human-Scale Social Space in Mumbai (Aditi Nargundkar Pathak)
Section Three - Scalable Ecologies
- 6 A Rural Case: Beyond Creative Placemaking (Margo Handwerker)
- 7 Creative Placemaking in Peri-Urban Gothenburg – Mission Impossible? (Michael Landzelius and Peter Rundqvist)
- 8 A Conversation between a Collaborating Artist and Curator: Placemaking, Socially Engaged Art, and Deep Investment in People (Jim Walker and Shauta Marsh)
Section 4 – Challenging Ecologies
- 9 Temporary Spatial Object/Architecture as a Typology for Placemaking (Torange Khonsari)
- 10 Place Guarding: Activist Art against Gentrification (Stephen Pritchard)
- 11 Outros Espaços: Apathy and Lack of Engagement in Participatory Processes (Luísa Alpalhão)
Section 5 – Extending Ecologies
- 12 Towards Beauty and a Civics Of Place: Notes From The Thriving Cities Project, (Anna Marazuela Kim and Joshua J Yates)
- 13 From Indicators to Face Validity to Theory—and Back Again: Measuring Outcomes of U.S. Creative Placemaking Projects (Sunil Iyengar)
Conclusion Moving into the beyond – what’s next for creative placemaking? (Anita McKeown and Cara Courage)